Pasay City: Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus

Located adjacent to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal III in the City of Pasay, the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus has one of the most eye-catching architectural designs among the churches in Manila. 

Shrine of St. Therese, Doctor of the Child Jesus

Also called Shrine of St. Therese and Columbarium, this unique-looking church actually started as a makeshift chapel constructed in 1947 by a chaplain assigned in the Philippine Air Force. Originally, the church is dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel. It was expanded and reconstructed several times in order to serve the spiritual needs of the increasing number of Philippine Air Force personnel.

St. Therese watches over all who pass by.
The church underwent a major reconstruction in the 1980s. It was then consecrated on December 16, 1983, and was dedicated to St,. Therese of the Child Jesus by Archbishop Bruno Torpigliani, the Apostolic Nuncio to the Philippines.
Interior of the church
Church altar
Check out the glassworks displayed atop the altar.
The adoration chapel
The confessionals
Pilgrim relics of St. Therese of the Child Jesus "visited" the church during the Great Jubilee year of 2000. The church was declared Diocesan Shrine of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines years later on May 17, 2007 -during the 82nd anniversary of the canonization of St. Therese.
stained glass window, St. Therese
Check out the life story of St. Therese from these stained windows.
My first visit to the church was actually unplanned. My main purpose during that time was to fetch my dad who is coming in from Legazpi City. I came to the airport quite early only to find out that my dad's flight would be delayed by an hour. Lucky for me I brought my camera along. I drove towards the Aeronautics Museum which is just beside the airport. When I got there I was told that they're not open during Sundays. As I drove away heading back to the airport, I spotted a uniquely designed structure just a few blocks away from where I was. I looked for a road that will bring me to that structure. When I got there I was surprised to find out that it was a church, not only that the mass was still ongoing during the time of my arrival! Lucky me indeed because later on my dad would inform me that his flight would again be delayed by another hour. I attended the mass and took photos after. I only had one problem during this Visita Iglesia, that is that I was alone and nobody took a picture of me in this wonderful church. Putting that aside I could say that the Shrine of St. Therese, Doctor of the Church is a great place to visit. You know what's great about it? Well, the church has underground parking -and guess what! It's FREE! (I highly suggest you visit the church if you're waiting for a flight to arrive.)
St. Therese as seen from the road near NAIA III
Getting there:



From Manila, board a taxi and tell the driver to bring you directly to the Shrine of St. Therese of the child Jesus. In case he's unfamiliar, tell him to bring you to Ninoy Aquino International Airport III. The Shrine is just across the street.

Ratings:
Pilgrim
Cleanliness
Overall rating

Comments

  1. Ganda naman ng Shrine. Mabisita nga. Maraming salamat Neil for sharing. Please visit my site http://mymanilapicsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Adolfo. =) Will do. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. =)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Book your hotel thru KLOOK

Klook.com
Subscribe and get updated with the latest travel articles of The Backpack Adventures

Popular posts from this blog

A Guide to Collecting Eki Stamps

Otaru City Budget Day Tour Itinerary

Imus City Plaza - Cavite

Barcelona Ruins Park - Sorsogon

Quituinan Hills - Albay

Casa Hacienda de Tejeros - Cavite

Calaca Church - Batangas

Hiking Mt. Gulugod Baboy

10 Things to Do in Sapporo City

Munting Buhangin Beach Camp - Batangas