2019 Bicol Road Trip: Day 1

INTRO

May has always been my family's travel month. Last year, we've spent half the month exploring the Kansai Region of Japan. For this year, we decided to do a five-day road trip to the Bicol Region here in the Philippines. 

2019 Bicol Road Trip: Day 1

The original plan was to explore the different destinations in the province of Albay, particularly those in the hometown of dad in Camalig. Aside from that, we'd also visit select places in the province of Camarines Sur and Sorsogon. We'll also use this opportunity to visit my 90+-year-old grandmother and my father's siblings who are living in Bantunan, Camalig.

In the next few weeks, I will be posting articles about each day of our family adventure and also individual articles about the different places that we have visited during that time so tag along as we spend five days exploring the Bicol Region.

Day 1: May 21, 2019

Off to Naga City

Are you game for a long drive?

Passing through the Quezon Province arch

The weather today is going to be perfect for our long-planned road trip according to the weather forecast. We left our residence at around 8:00 in the morning for our 12-hour drive to Camalig, Albay -my father's hometown. However, my father decided that we'd stay for a night in Naga City in Camarines Sur. 

Passed through the Zigzag Road in Quezon National Forest Park

Enjoyed lunch in Zigzag Park

Explored the Quezon Herbal Pavilion with Ella

Although we had several restroom stops along the way, our planned major stop was at Zigzag Park in Atimonan, Quezon. It was there that we had our lunch. Before leaving, my daughter and I got the chance to check out the Quezon Herbal Pavilion which is just adjacent the Zigzag Park

Saw Atimonan's famous sirena (mermaid) landmark along the way...

... and Gumaca's famous fish landmark 

Finally... after several hours on the road, we finally reached Naga City

After a long drive and plenty more restroom stops, we finally reached Naga City at around 6PM. We book a room at the Naga Land Hotel. This was the second time that we stayed in this hotel. The first was during our 2014 Bicol Road Trip. Nothing much has changed in the hotel except for the increase in the rates of some rooms. However, the Queen Twin room rate was still P2500 a night. 

Checked in at NagaLand Hotel

Dinner at Crown Park Restaurant

Tried the beef brisket...

...and spicy squid

Before calling it a night, we ate our dinner at Crown Park Restaurant which was just a 5-8 minute walk away from our hotel. I highly recommend their Beef Brisket Noodles. 

Had a chance to have a photo at the I LOVE NAGA standee in Plaza Quince Martires

Plaza Quince Martires

On our walk back to our hotel, we had a chance to pass by Plaza Quince Martires and the San Francisco Parish Church.

Good night!

That night, I took the opportunity to edit our itinerary for tomorrow and suggested a side trip to my dad which he eagerly accepted. So where is our side trip destination? Well, you have to check out Day 2 of our 2019 Bicol Road Trip to find out.

Next: Day 2


Comments

  1. I haven’t heard of the Bicol Region of the Philippines but this makes me want to go. Looks like y’all had a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did have a great time Searcy. You should come check out this region in the Philippines. It's awesome.

      Delete
  2. I love all the fun landmarks and buildings! This looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'd surely love what else we saw on our second day!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that looks like so much fun. So many interesting places that I've never been to. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost always in Bicol as we do a lot of missions there. Of the entire region, my absolute favorite is Catanduanes. Also, I never get tired of seeing the Mayon Volcano. It is an absolute beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Crickette. Although I have yet to see Catanduanes myself but I heard it's an amazing place to visit.

      Delete
  5. The food in your blog looks so good! Thank you for sharing your travel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like you had a great time and saw so many interesting things on your first day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did! As a matter of fact, I'm very excited for our second day after what transpired during our 1st day on the road.

      Delete
  7. San Francisco Parish looks like an awesome place for to venture at night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will share this article for my friend's trip to Bicol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful place to visit. Thank you for the detailed breakdown of your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! I hope this motivated you visit Bicol Region.

      Delete
  10. I have a colleague from Philippines. I'm not sure if he has been to Naga City. Now I have something to talk to him about his home country. Hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! He'd be delighted to talk about his country for sure. =)

      Delete
  11. Feels Nostalgic!!!! I am not from Naga, I am from Camarines Sur. But i went to school in Naga. I remember those landmarks!!! glad you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Book your hotel thru KLOOK

Klook.com
Subscribe and get updated with the latest travel articles of The Backpack Adventures

Popular posts from this blog

Tanza Oasis Hotel and Resort - Cavite

A Guide to Collecting Eki Stamps

First Timer's Guide to Collecting Goshuin

10 Things to Do in Chitose City

Hiking Mt. Gulugod Baboy

Imus City Plaza - Cavite

Casa Hacienda de Tejeros - Cavite

Japan Diaries 2: Day 5

Kyoto Station - Kyoto

First Timer's Guide to Kyoto City Bus One-Day Pass