Bulusan Lake - Sorsogon

Located in the heart of Bulusan Volcano National Park in the town of Bulusan, Sorsogon, Bulusan Lake is an elevated lake that currently serves as one of the province's top eco-tourism destinations. 

Bulusan Lake in Bulusan, Sorsogon is actually a former crater of Mt. Bulusan.
Bulusan Lake

Bulusan Lake Details

With an elevation of 360 meters or 1180 feet, Lake Bulusan is believed by some to be one of the former craters of the still active Mt. Bulusan (Bulusan Volcano)

After driving for several kilometers, we finally found saw the signage that points us to our destination...

Continue driving for 1.7 kilometers through this scenic road until you reach the parking area at the end of the road. 

Presently, the lake and the forest surrounding it are transformed into an eco-tourism destination. The entrance to the lake is found on its southeastern side and a road was paved to connect the lake to Maharlika Highway hence the possibility to bring your car along. However, keep in mind that parking here is limited so better come early to get that coveted parking space nearest the lake. 

Bulusan Lake Entrance Fee:

Just a heads up, there's a parking fee and an entrance fee. The entrance fee is 20 Pesos per adult and 15 per child or elderly. You can check out the full list of rates in the picture below. 

Welcome to Bulusan Volcano Natural Park... Check out the entrance and parking fee.

Your first view of Bulusan Lake, as seen from the parking area

Say cheese!

From the entrance, visitors could already see the picturesque Lake Bulusan. Visitors will surely be in awe of the lake's emerald-ish waters which are surrounded by the lush rainforest of Bulusan Volcano National Park. Speaking of Bulusan Volcano, those who plan to hike it should register at the tourism office near the entrance of the lake. They could also hire the services of local guides and porters here too. During our visit, during the 4th day of our 2019 Bicol Road Trip, hiking up the volcano was temporarily suspended due to volcanic activities. 

An image of the Virgin Mary near the parking area

My dad teaching my daughter about the topography of Bulusan Volcano

Bulusan Lake - Bulusan, Sorsogon

Here are our pictures around the lake:









For those who want to see the topography of the volcano, there's a 3-dimensional small-scale model of it near the lake. It shows the trails leading up to the volcano and also some bodies of water found in Bulusan Volcano National Park

Bulusan Lake Canopy Walk

Family photo time!

My dad trying it out...

Speaking of trails, the best way to explore Bulusan Lake is by following the cemented trail around it. However, before you do, better hire a local guide. They'd make sure that you're safe and that you'd learn about the flora and fauna seen around the lake. Halfway around the lake is one of its attractions - the Canopy Walk

Bulusan Lake Canopy Walk

Bulusan Lake Canopy Walk

The Canopy Walk is a 340-meter long hanging bridge that's found parallel and sometimes above the eastern trail of the lake. Not only does it offer visitors an adventurous way of going back to the trailhead, but it also gives them a "monkey's eye view" of the lake. 

Bulusan Lake Canopy Walk Entrance Fee: 

Keep in mind though, in order to experience the Canopy Walk, one has to shell out P100 pax.

Let's go!




We got to visit Bulusan Lake during the 4th day of our 2019 Bicol Road Trip. During the said visit, my wife, daughter, and I did not miss out on the Canopy Walk experience. It was a fun yet challenging activity for us given the fact that we had our 6-year old daughter along with us but still we successfully completed it thanks to our very patient guide who made sure that my daughter was always safe and guided. 

Enjoy kayaking in the lake

If you're not fond of heights, then probably you'd love to try renting a kayak or canoe and go paddling around the 27-hectare lake. Although this sounds like an amazing activity, we skipped it due to time constraints. Well, that just means that I have a reason to come back to this scenic place again someday. 

The Backpack Adventures in Bulusan Volcano National Park

Why visit Bulusan Lake?

Bulusan Lake is a must-visit destination for nature lovers, adventurous souls, and also those who want to escape the hustle and bustle of city life. It is also a great side-trip destination for those who are going to hike Bulusan Volcano. 

Getting to Bulusan Lake:


From Cubao, ride a Philtranco/ Penafrancia Bus to Gubat, Sorsogon. Fare is around P1000 = P1500. From the town proper, ride a jeepney to Bulusan town proper. From there, charter a tricycle to Bulusan Lake. Tell the driver to wait for you. Round-trip fare is around P300-400.


Ratings:
Crowd
Cleanliness
Overall rating

Comments

  1. Wow, this looks like a beautiful place. Perfect for pictures! The canopy walk would scare the hell out of me though. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. That was what I felt the first time I saw it... but after trying it out, it was the most memorable thing in Bulusan Lake that I have experienced.

      Delete
  2. What a fun adventure! We went to a volcano park last month and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds cool Cyndi. I'm happy to hear that you had a great time.

      Delete
  3. Wow! What an amazing looking place to adventure and visit! I have never heard of this place before. But definitely will be adding it to my bucket list. Thank you for sharing and taking such beautiful photos! It looks like everyone had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do hope you visit Bulusan Lake someday! =)

      Delete
  4. oh wow that looks so fun! The bridge looks scary though haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This place is on my list! I love volcanoes and the canopy bridge looks breath taking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you could visit Bulusan Lake after this pandemic is over.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a great adventure! If I ever go to Philippines, I’d definitely check this out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I am really embrassed to say that I did not know where Sorsogan is. I had to google it :) Anyways loved reading about it. At least I learnt some new information today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that my blog has been educational for you. I do hope you could come visit someday, =)

      Delete
  8. THis looks beautiful! How far away is it from Mindanao? (I have probably spelled this wrong, my apologies).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Lake Bulusan is in Albay which is found in Luzon. You need to take the plane to reach the said province.

      Delete
  9. You have taken some very nice pictures of the lake. I like visiting volcanic lakes as well, it's so hard to believe that there's a crater underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's why exploring is amazing. You should come visit Bulusan Lake Joanna!

      Delete
  10. I like such places with natural beauty. Gives enough opportunities to go lost in the woods and enjoy some fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bulusan lake is such a beautiful destination for a family getaway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Please come visit Bulusan Lake when you are in the Philippines.

      Delete
  12. This place looks largely untouched and/or well-maintained. I'd love to visit sometime too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Vasundhra. You'd surely love Lake Bulusan.

      Delete
  13. Wow I really like this place! Sobrang relaxing and perfect for nature trip I will add this on my Local trips Awesome photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maysz! I'm happy na may naintroduce ako sayo na bagong lugar na pwedeng puntahan. =)

      Delete
  14. This looks like a peaceful and beautiful place to enjoy nature. I don't know if I would enjoy The Canopy Walk (I fear heights) but I would go for the nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bulusan Lake is indeed a peaceful place to visit if you want to enjoy nature. You can skip the Canopy Walk. Hahaha

      Delete
  15. This looks like a breathtaking place to visit but I'm not going to lie.... I probably couldn't make it past that canopy walk though. This bridges scare me to death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. That was also the first thing that came in my mind Magen. However, the Canopy Walk is fun. =) You should come try it.

      Delete
  16. This place is breathtaking and worth visiting. I hope one day I'll make it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure you will Bee. Looking forward to your visit to Bulusan Lake.

      Delete
  17. Greap place to visit with family. This could be one of our bucket list for 2020 summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to your visit to Bulusan Lake Suanlian. =)

      Delete
  18. Ang ganda talaga ng Bulusan Lake! Galing kami diyan last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear that. Parang gusto ko ulit bumisita sa Bulusan Lake ah.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Book your hotel thru KLOOK

Klook.com
Subscribe and get updated with the latest travel articles of The Backpack Adventures

Popular posts from this blog

Tanza Oasis Hotel and Resort - Cavite

A Guide to Collecting Eki Stamps

First Timer's Guide to Collecting Goshuin

10 Things to Do in Chitose City

Hiking Mt. Gulugod Baboy

Imus City Plaza - Cavite

Casa Hacienda de Tejeros - Cavite

Japan Diaries 2: Day 5

First Timer's Guide to Kyoto City Bus One-Day Pass

Kohfukuji - Nara